East Bay View (a blog about several things)

now 98% free of substantive content

Monday, March 20, 2006

Please do not start your short film with these words

"Sometimes I hate myself."

Also not good: "If I were a fish..."

I'm puzzled that filmmakers who seem personable and funny when appearing on stage after a screening make shorts that are so much mopey blubbering. I guess film schools aren't teaching enough about art -- or perhaps they're teaching them too much. Kai Ling Xue's "A Girl Named Kai" stood out because she parties in the street and gets a tattoo and stuff. (Plus it had a score with percussion.)

It's your film, kids, so you might as well celebrate yourself.

P.S.: Big conceptual points to the woman who got her mother to fund a movie about how she hadn't come out to her mother yet. (She still hasn't.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home