East Bay View (a blog about several things)

now 98% free of substantive content

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

United 93

Morally and intellectually I agree with Dennis Lim's Voice review. What he doesn't express is how the film twists you, gets in your gut -- and I'd find it hard to believe that it wouldn't have such an effect on a person of feeling. That's been better expressed by a number of women critics, each with her own set of caveats. (Thinking about writing about the press coverage in some detail, if I can find the time.)

All I can say is that I found it valuable as a memorial. But then I was cushioned from the attack by distance: they occurred overnight in my time zone, and I didn't watch them unfold live; of course I felt the loss on that day, but I don't have wounds that risk reopening. So I make no guarantee you will or should see the movie the way I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home