East Bay View (a blog about several things)

now 98% free of substantive content

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Lifeblog: Mr. Lightside

B. Flowers: "I don't think Beethoven was trying to be funny." What about "Take the Skinheads Bowling"?

R.I.P. Cleopatra Jones.

"all to no end save beauty..."

Why I don't expect The Departed to match Infernal Affairs:
Leo DiCaprio (why is Marky Mark not in this role?) << href="http://villagevoice.com/film/0640,hoberman,74637,20.html">ham mode <>>> the world, but I don't think that's enough.)

On Echoes, The Rapture sounded like they wanted more than anything to be stars. On Pieces of the People We Love, they sound like they want to be burnt-out stars, like they wish they were already in the washed-up, reality show stage of their careers already. Still, you can dance to it -- their fusion of Eighties with Eighties revival may be pro forma, but at least they're pros.

Of course there are things I want to see at Mill Valley, (Summer Palace!) but it's too much trouble for me to get there. I hope to instead spend much of weekend at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. The attractions on Saturday include Todd Snider (only Kanye has put out two better albums in the last three years) and Langford/Bell/Timms of the Mekons. On Sunday there's Iris DeMent (finest singer of the Nineties, though she hasn't done much since then) and New Favourite Band finalists the Drive-By Truckers. I don't know if there's a better free annual music fest than this one. Anywhere.

Not that you care: Cena vs Edge in the cage this week was the year's best Raw match, badly booked ending and all.

I know you think my praise for The Passenger was faint, but I really believe Jack's performance in the amazing ending should be somewhere on this list. Also: his performance in Lakers-Spurs '03.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home