East Bay View (a blog about several things)

now 98% free of substantive content

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Changing the subject

Been trying a lot of peaches lately, enough to decide I like yellow peaches a lot more than white ones. My favourite Berkeley Farmers' Market stalls to get them are Blossom Bluff and Woodleaf. Woodleaf's discounted ugly peaches are terrific value, two-something a pound where other BFM peaches are three-something. Last weekend, though, I bought one with a hole in it, and out crawled some bug. So this week, Blossom Bluff. They had three yellow peach varietals, and I couldn't help buying one of each:

Regina: sweet
Donut: sweet and peachy
June Lady: sweet, peachy and sour

So yeah, I liked the June Lady best.

This weekend: back to Woodleaf, where I'll select with more care.

Other fruit notes: Last week I finally had some good Blenheim apricots, from Monterey Market. I forget the farm name: seems to be better to select by optimal ripeness anyway. Season's already winding up, though... Haven't had a satisfactory nectarine yet, any tips?

Salad of the moment: Riverdog cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic-rubbed toast, skim mozzarella.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 2:38 pm, Blogger franiwack said…

    yeah, you gotta be very careful with peaches that haven't had pesticide used on them .... there may be worms inside even if the outside is perfect, the worms are born inside when the fruit is starting to form... this is what happens to my dad's white peach tree, we never eat its fruit anymore.... yuuumm worms!

     
  • At 2:48 pm, Blogger bradluen said…

    This thing had legs! Lots of 'em!

     
  • At 10:56 pm, Blogger Michelle said…

    I greatly prefer yellow peaches, too. Ditto yellow nectarines. Both were so outnumbered at the Temescal Farmer's Market on Sunday. I did buy a few yellow nectarines on Sunday that I would recommend but can't remember if I purchased them at Temescal (from a Visalia vendor whose name I don't recall) or Berkeley Bowl.

    Good tip on the apricots! Lots of good food tips here all around!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home