East Bay View (a blog about several things)

now 98% free of substantive content

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Box scores: Do you know what the time is?

Weekend winner: The Pacifier, $30.2M (3131 theaters.) What's the appeal of Vin Diesel as a Navy S.E.A.L. turned babysitter? I thought this would alienate both the family and action audiences, but I forgot that the family movie audience often only sees the posters and TV spots. The strategy of playing cute for publicity purposes (if you looked at the poster you wouldn't suspect there was any violence in the movie) has paid off big time.

Weekend loser: The Jacket, $2.7M (1331 theaters.) Needed good press; didn't get it. I'm disappointed because I like most of the people involved (especially Adrien Brody, who looks like becoming the latest victim of the Oscar curse) but I'm not gonna see it or anything.

Link: Weekend estimates

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home