East Bay View (a blog about several things)

now 98% free of substantive content

Monday, April 24, 2006

Two listens into Ghostface's Fishscale

I'm still decoding all the drug speak -- Ghost, who says he's been clean since ODB died, obviously knows a lot more about this game than I do, like how even dealers recognise the metric system is better -- and so I'm not yet sure how the vignettes fit into the larger narrative. So at the moment when I say it's the most cinematic hip hop album ever, I mean many of the songs are as vivid as short films, in grim and desperate ways. Standouts among the role-players are Raekwon and Trife, but every line belongs to Ghost, who at times almost sounds like he's reciting from Lamentations. It's a difficult album, give me some time to work out if it's a great one.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:42 am, Blogger girish said…

    Nice blog!

    Just ordered this after seeing Christgau's A+ review; your take on it as "cinematic" makes me really curious about this one. I have liked not loved Ghostface's previous albums, though I suspect he's one of those artists whose musical approach has not entirely "clicked" for me yet, like say McEnroe or Kanye or Missy did the first time I heard them. I'm hoping this is the album to do it for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home