East Bay View (a blog about several things)

now 98% free of substantive content

Monday, April 24, 2006

Two listens into Ghostface's Fishscale

I'm still decoding all the drug speak -- Ghost, who says he's been clean since ODB died, obviously knows a lot more about this game than I do, like how even dealers recognise the metric system is better -- and so I'm not yet sure how the vignettes fit into the larger narrative. So at the moment when I say it's the most cinematic hip hop album ever, I mean many of the songs are as vivid as short films, in grim and desperate ways. Standouts among the role-players are Raekwon and Trife, but every line belongs to Ghost, who at times almost sounds like he's reciting from Lamentations. It's a difficult album, give me some time to work out if it's a great one.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:42 AM, Blogger girish said…

    Nice blog!

    Just ordered this after seeing Christgau's A+ review; your take on it as "cinematic" makes me really curious about this one. I have liked not loved Ghostface's previous albums, though I suspect he's one of those artists whose musical approach has not entirely "clicked" for me yet, like say McEnroe or Kanye or Missy did the first time I heard them. I'm hoping this is the album to do it for me.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Royalty Free Beats For One Dollar said…

    Royalty Free Beats For One Dollar

    At

    http://upbeat.tk

    All of our one dollar beats are sample free and royalty free, these beats can be used for Rap, Hip Hop, R&B, advertising, motion production, sports, games, software, ringtones, and more. All we ask is two things, one if you use these beats for commercial purposes that you give “upbeat.tk” written credit for our production and two not to resell or give away beats without vocals if used for musical purposes. Links to download beats will be sent by e mail after purchase, each beat will be sent as a WAVE Audio File and a MP3 File. When purchased you will have non-exclusive rights to the beat or beats you buy for life. If you have any questions feel free to email us at upbeattk@gmail.com thank you and enjoy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home